If someone were to ask you what you received for Christmas five years ago, would you remember? Unless it was something quite substantial, probably not. The sweater shrunk, the CD can’t even be played in your new car, and the writing has faded from that coffee mug your co-worker gave you.
Might we propose an answer to a few questions you may have? You know the ones…
“What do you buy for the person who has everything?”
“He is so hard to shop for. Can you help me think of something?”
“I don’t know her size and don’t want to offend her. Is there a safe gift?”
Yes, we can help you shop for the hardest person on your list, and we propose this season’s gift-giving include experiences. Give the gift of lasting memories.
- Star Flight Training
- Glamping with Twin River Outfitter
- Themed Hotel Packages
- Tour Roanoke
- IRONMAN 70.3 Registration
- A Stay at The Stone House
- VIP Packages to Events
- Book a Box for a Game
- Book a Professional Photo Shoot
Whether it’s an adrenaline junkie on your list or someone who might be open to trying something new, we like the idea of flight lessons with Star Flight Training. If that is a bigger leap than your recipient might entertain, Star Flight also offers 30-minute and hour-long airplane tours over our gorgeous Blue Ridge Mountains.
Along the James River there is a paddle-in glamping destination for those who love the outdoors and could use a getaway. Three nights spread your 37-mile journey into manageable sections, and the accommodations that await are quite nice, complete with an outside kitchen and tools to use it.
Photo by Aaron Black Schmidt.
Golf lovers, train lovers, and other lovers will find fun, themed hotel packages in Virginia’s Blue Ridge. Choose from these suggestions to surprise someone special:
- Highland Golf Package at Primland – available May through September; includes a round of golf with cart, daily breakfast, and accommodations | Book Package >
- Dirty Dancing Package for Mountain Lake – available select weekends in 2020; includes dance lessons and parties, all meals, a full slate of Dirty Dancing themed activities, and accommodations | Book Package >
- Train Lovers Package at The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center – available daily; includes tickets to the O. Winston Link Museum and the Virginia Museum of Transportation, breakfast for two, and accommodations overlooking the railroad | Book Package >
- Pampered Pooch Package at Peaks of Otter Lodge – available daily; includes a dog bone, dog bowl, bandana, and can be used for up to two dogs. Accommodations included. | Book Package >
Your gift recipient will get to know the Star City of Roanoke, Virginia when you give them a unique experience from Tour Roanoke, each flavorful and informative:
- The Shaken or Stirred Cocktail Class invites attendees to become a hands-on maker and shaker with “behind-the-cocktail-bar fun” with the bartenders of Lucky, Stellina, and Fortunato.
- The Taste of Naples class brings guests into the Fortunato kitchen to craft a Neapolitan style pizza and then behind the bar to whip up a Negroni, a classic Italian cocktail.
The first Carilion Clinic IRONMAN® 70.3® Virginia’s Blue Ridge Triathlon will be held June 7, 2020. Give your IRONMAN or woman the gift of registration so he or she can focus on race prep and training. The course includes a first-time-ever 1.2-mile swim in Carvins Cove Reservoir followed by a 56-mile bike route through the hills of Botetourt County, and concludes with a Roanoke River Greenway run to the finish.
The folks at Black Dog Salvage have renovated and upgraded the 1911 Stone House in Roanoke to be a comfortable retreat suitable for a night, weekend, or week-long stay, or to host a special event. Aligning well to the heart and mission of Black Dog Salvage, The Stone House was crafted by an Italian stonemason using materials salvaged from his jobs. He created quite a lovely home for himself with leftover and found materials.
The Stone House sleeps six with three bedrooms and three and one-half bathrooms. All linens are provided, the kitchen is equipped and stocked with basic pantry items, the bathrooms are luxurious…all that’s needed is a couple or family to enjoy it for a night or two.
Shouldn’t the Very Important Person in your life be treated like a VIP in other aspects of life? Give a gift that elevates. Give the gift of a VIP experience to an event in Virginia’s Blue Ridge.
- Dr Pepper Park at The Bridges hosts concerts April through September. A key performer already slated for 2020 is Aaron Lewis on June 25. VIP Skybox for his concert is $99 per person and features rooftop deck, private cash bar access, and bathroom. | Get Tickets >
- The Smith Mountain Lake Wine Festival will be held September 26-27, 2020. The previous festival included 25 wineries to sample as well as live entertainment. Purchase a VIP ticket package to share the experience with your favorite person. | Event Website >
- Microfestivus is a charity fundraiser traditionally held in August in downtown Roanoke. The festival features more than 200 beers and VIP tickets are limited. As soon as they’re available, you’ll want to jump on them for the best pricing. | Event Website >
- Now in its 7th year, the New Year’s Eve Big Lick Downtown Countdown is Virginia’s biggest NYE event and includes a concert at Market Square, a DJ party at City Market Building, and gaming at Center in the Square. This family-friendly event allows children under 12 to enjoy the fun for free. The $50 VIP ticket includes heavy appetizers and two beverage tickets and are limited to 200 people. | Get Tickets >
The Great American Game of baseball never gets old, and in Virginia’s Blue Ridge, we root for the Salem Red Sox, the minor league Class A Advanced Affiliate of the Boston Red Sox. A variety of premium hospitality options are available, as are ticket packages large and small.
Hockey is known for its brawls and bloody noses (might as well be boxing, right?), and you can get close to the action when you purchase a box seat for an upcoming clash with the Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs. They skate at the Berglund Center nearly every week from mid-October through the first week of April.
Memories should last a lifetime but sometimes the brilliance fades. Treat your family or friends to a professional photo shoot to be sure this particular season of life is captured and preserved forever. We have a variety of scenic locations to choose from and can also recommend professional photographers in Virginia’s Blue Ridge.
The most fun of the season is in the giving, and we hope you’ll find something perfect and suitable for each person on your list when you consider giving from Virginia’s Blue Ridge. Be sure to see our other list of ideas for giving.