It’s a holiday, birthday, or even a team building day out. What do you do?
Fortunately, Virginia’s Blue Ridge offers a wide range of options suitable for groups of people, be it family, friends, church groups, or corporations. Have a blast with us!
Here are 10 great group activities for your next Blue Ridge Day.
Connect (or re-connect, as the case may be) over tremendous food, craft beer, and wine of the region. Taking a tour together allows you to learn the processes of wine making and beer making together. It’s a great way to learn something new as well as taste something new.
Show off your strength and perseverance when you challenge co-workers, friends, or brothers-in-law to a bit of indoor bouldering. River Rock Climbing has all of the equipment you’ll need to race to the top and name yourself King of the Mountain.
Bounce off some steam at Launching Pad Trampoline Park & Family Center in Salem. It’s not just for kids! While a great deal of the space is trampolines, there’s also foam pits, bouncy basketball dunking lanes, bumper cars, and JOUSTING. Now that is where the real competition heats up.
4. Challenge Courses
Teambuilding blossoms when colleagues are paired up to accomplish tasks out of their comfort zone. Virginia’s Blue Ridge offers several venues to push such issues and build your group to its highest level of performance:
- Camp Roanoke offers ropes courses, climbing, mountain boarding, archery, kayaking, and caving.
- The W.E. Skelton 4-H Educational Conference Center at Smith Mountain Lake offers low-ropes and situational teambuilding over a half or full day by the lake.
- Wilderness Adventure at Eagle Landing in New Castle is a mountain retreat and comfortable place for a group. The staff will help you plan out daily excursions on their 500 acres, which could include canoeing or kayaking, biking, hiking, ziplining, ropes, climbing, or quite a bit more!
More than 45 pinball machines are at your disposal when you head to Roanoke Pinball Museum at Center in the Square in Downtown Roanoke. Set up a group tournament to crown a “Pinball Wizard” among you.
Put your creativity on display when you stroke a loaded brush to canvas alongside your favorite people. “They say” a glass of wine helps release the creative juices, so whether it’s all the single ladies or the mamas who need a break, a paint nite with a smidge of white wine is an awesome way to regroup and relax.
7. Guided Outdoor Adventures
Get outside and play rough. Virginia’s Blue Ridge has two prime outfitters who set you up for a rugged good time to get your adrenaline pumping and your worries out of mind.
- Roanoke Mountain Adventures in Roanoke has everything you need for biking (mountain or road), kayaking, paddleboarding, tubing, and hiking. Their guides will usher you along a route or you can head out on your own.
- Twin River Outfitters in Buchanan specializes in running the Upper James, Cowpasture, Jackson, and Maury Rivers. Their on-the-water expertise means you get a fantastic guided water excursion for your group. Single day and even multi-day trips are available.
8. Complete an Escape Room
Put your teamwork and puzzle solving skills to the test by visiting an escape room in Virginia's Blue Ridge. Deciphered Roanoke, Escape Key, and Riddle Me Roanoke all feature unique escape room experiences that offer a fun, exciting challenge.
Kids love a treasure hunt, and if we’re honest, we adults do, too. So off we go with Muddy Squirrel, a group of guides focused on outdoor adventure with educational value. While their services run the gamut from trail running classes to overnight excursions, a treasure hunt is a fun middle ground activity for a diverse group.
There’s nothing like a good hockey brawl! Roanoke’s own Rail Yard Dawgs play at Berglund Center October through March with nearly 30 home games per season. Diesel, the rough-and-tumble train-conducting dawg mascot is always a hit with the kids. Ticket options >
Subscribe to our e-newsletter for more ideas on fun things to do in Virginia's Blue Ridge and give us a follow on social media @visitvbr to share your next adventure!