Blue Ridge Parkway Detour - Virginia's Blue Ridge
A small section of the Blue Ridge Parkway in Virginia’s Blue Ridge was recently closed - from Milepost 106 to Milepost 112, due to road damage and needed repair work. The good news is that the road is repaired and the section of the Parkway is re-opened for travelers!
While the road was closed, the National Park Service advised travelers to detour around the closure by using Route 460 and Route 24, which features some fun experiences in the Roanoke Valley in Virginia’s Blue Ridge.
We encourage you to continue to make the most of the 10 mile detour through Vinton & Roanoke County as the perfect opportunity to dine at a variety of local restaurants, visit some quaint shops & boutiques, see local art & history, and explore a few outdoor adventures.
This Google map shows the route for the detour, as recommended by the National Park Service:
Whether you’re traveling north or south on the Parkway, this detour can be a way to get to know more about the Roanoke Valley in Virginia’s Blue Ridge. Here are some fun stops to make along the way!
Food & Drink
- Jerry’s Restaurant - a family-style restaurant with traditional & home-style comfort food at an affordable price
- Macado’s - a popular spot with the entire family and a menu that includes some of the best sandwiches in town, as well as classic bar options, such as wings, quesadillas, and drink specials
- Twin Creeks Brewing Company - this popular local brewery is located in the heart of Downtown Vinton and has a variety of great brews on tap, and also regularly hosts special events and live music
- Dogwood Restaurant - you’ll find delicious comfort food and burgers at Dogwood Restaurant, which features a lunch counter and daily specials that provide a bite of nostalgia
- Red Jasmine Thai Cuisine - feast on authentic Thai cuisine at this quaint restaurant that also features a variety of vegetarian-friendly dishes
- FarmBurguesa - a farm-to-table restaurant specializing in great burgers and creative flavor combinations, including the popular Colombiana burger, topped with green tomatoes, pineapple sauce, pink sauce, mozzarella cheese, bacon, and potato chips
- Jersey Lily’s Roadhouse - an American-style roadhouse known for great steaks, ribs, and made-from-scratch yeast rolls
- Bratcher’s Ice Cream Parlor - traditional ice cream parlor that serves Hershey’s hand-dipped ice cream and Nathan’s hot dogs
- Famous Anthony’s - local restaurant chain that’s regularly highlighted for kid-friendly specials and menu items, as well as great breakfast
- Cafe Asia - find a variety of Asian cuisine at Cafe Asia, including sushi, soups & stews, noodle dishes, and traditional Chinese food favorites
- Sal’s Italian Restaurant - a family-owned restaurant that specializes in traditional Italian fare and pizza
- Vinton Farmers Market - open Monday through Saturday, this local farmers market is a great spot to find local produce, seasonal plants, and hand-crafted goods
- Roanoke Antique Mall - find a huge selection of antiques & collectibles at this antique mall, which houses more than 130 dealers across 25,000 square feet of shopping space
- Cardinal Bicycle - in business for more than 40 years, this local bike shop has been instrumental in helping establish and grow the large cycling community in Virginia’s Blue Ridge
- Orvis Outlet Store - as the location of an Orvis distribution center, the Orvis Outlet Store has a large selection of men’s & women’s sportswear and sporting goods equipment
- Country Corner - a garden & greenhouse center with a gift shop that’s great for finding souvenirs and various Virginia made products
Things to Do
- Firehouse Skate ‘N Play - a family-fun entertainment center, offering roller skating, an indoor playground, and arcade
- Vinton War Memorial - LOVE Sign & High Ground Veterans Monument - take your picture in front of the LOVE sign at the Vinton War Memorial, which showcases many local features of the town of Vinton. The High Ground Veterans Monument, also located at the Vinton War Memorial, honors past Vinton & Roanoke County residents who were killed in action during military service, as well as those who are still currently serving.
- Bounce Roanoke - there’s bouncing fun for everyone with the giant inflatables and play areas, including slides, gladiator jousting, and an obstacle course
- Jeter Farm Fall Festival & Country Store - don’t miss the pumpkin picking, corn maze, farm animals, and all your favorite fall festival traditions at this wonderful annual event - open Saturdays & Sundays (September 21 - October 27)
- Wolf Creek Greenway - take a walk in the woods with this 2.2 mile gravel trail that’s part of the Roanoke Valley Greenway network. It’s an easy path that also makes for a nice bike ride.
- Thrasher Park - Dog Park - your four-legged friend will appreciate this stop, as Thrasher Park is a public park in Virginia’s Blue Ridge that features a dog park
- Vinyard Park - Fishing on Glade Creek - Vinton’s largest park provides easy access to Glade Creek, a stocked trout stream and nice spot for fishing
- Blue Hills Golf Course - a beautiful public golf course that offers 18 holes of challenging golf, full driving range, and a fully stocked golf shop
- Read Mountain Preserve - one of the best spots in the region for hiking - this preserve includes a five mile network of hiking trails, including the moderately difficult 2 mile hike to Buzzards Rock
We hope you enjoy your Blue Ridge Parkway detour in Virginia’s Blue Ridge and visit a few local businesses along the way! To learn more about the region and things to do, sign up to receive our free monthly e-newsletter and follow us on social media.
To learn more about the Blue Ridge Parkway, including a real-time road closure map, visit the National Park Service website.