The annual St. Patrick’s Day Parade and Shamrock Festival is one of the signature events and celebrations of the year in Downtown Roanoke in Virginia’s Blue Ridge.
Sponsored by Freedom First, the St. Patrick's Day Parade and Festival attracts thousands of attendees and is a festive scene that highlights many local organizations, including those with connections to Celtic and Irish heritage.
It’s one of the main reasons Roanoke in Virginia’s Blue Ridge has been highlighted as one of the 10 Best St. Patrick’s Day Cities in the United States, earning the recognition alongside other destinations around the country known for St. Patrick’s Day parties, including Chicago, Savannah, and Boston.
2023 Roanoke St. Patrick's Day Parade Information
St. Patrick’s Day Parade: Saturday, March 11 - 11:00 a.m.
Downtown Roanoke Parade Route: Begins at intersection of Jefferson Street and Elm Avenue and goes north to Campbell Avenue, then turns right and ends at Williamson Road.
Popular viewing areas for the parade include the Jefferson Street side of Elmwood Park, corner of Franklin Road and Jefferson Street, corner of Jefferson Street and Campbell Avenue, and the Market Square area along Campbell Avenue
Shamrock Festival: Saturday, March 11 - 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Location: Plaza area on Market Street beside the City Market Building
Activities include live music, adult beverages, and more
For information about the 2023 Freedom First St. Patrick’s Day Parade and Shamrock Festival, including a map of the parade route, schedule of live music, and how to sign up to volunteer or apply to be a vendor, visit the Downtown Roanoke Inc. website >
In addition to the St. Patrick’s Day Parade and Shamrock Festival, there are also lots of other great parties and events to check out at local restaurants and bars in Downtown Roanoke.
Here is a guide to other places to join in on the St. Patrick’s Day fun on March 11.
Celtic Celebration - Corned Beef & Co.
Time: 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Join Corned Beef & Co. for their annual Celtic Celebration, which will feature Irish food and drink specials. There will also be an outdoor festival with beer tents and live Irish music. This is also a great location for parade watching.
Celtic Celebration Facebook Event >
St. Pat’s Street Party - Martin’s Downtown Bar & Grill
Time: 10:45 a.m. to 12:30 a.m.
Tickets: $15 at door | no pre-sale tickets
Make it a full day and night of St. Patrick’s Day shenanigans at the annual St. Pat’s Street Party at Martin’s Downtown Bar & Grill. There will be delicious Irish food specials such as Shepherd’s Pie, Bangers & Mash, the Irish Pub Burger, and Irish Nachos. And jam out with music from 10 bands performing on 2 different stages.
Martin’s St. Pat’s Street Party Facebook Event >
Additional St. Patrick’s Day & Celtic Themed Events in March
- Enter the Haggis - Harvester Performance Center - March 1
- Sunday Sips & St. Patty’s Paint Party - Virginia Museum of Transportation - March 5
- Celtic Fest on the Hill - Roanoke Catholic School - March 11
- St. Patrick's Day Brunch Celebration at The Hotel Roanoke - March 12 & 19
- “Run Lucky” Pub Run & Walk - Fleet Feet Roanoke & Big Lick Brewing Company - March 14
- St. Patty’s Murder Mystery - Stoney Brook Vineyards - March 16
- St. Patrick's Eve - Gladheart Wine & Brews - March 16
- St. Patrick's Day Buffet - Mountain Lake Lodge - March 17
- St. Patrick's Day Celebration - Living Proof Beer Co. - March 17
- St. Patrick's Day Shenanigans - Olde Salem Brewing Co. - March 17
- St. Paddy's Day with Tin Can Locomotive - Big Lick Brewing Co. - March 17
- St. Patty’s Murder Mystery - Beliveau Farm Winery - March 18
- A Wee Bit O' Murder VIRTUAL Murder Mystery - Jump Into Mystery - March 24
Downtown Roanoke Resources & Helpful Info
- Parking in Downtown Roanoke
- Downtown Roanoke Restaurants
- Bars in Downtown Roanoke
- Places to Stay in Downtown Roanoke
- Shopping in Downtown Roanoke
- Attractions & Things to Do in Downtown Roanoke