Sunflowers have always been showstoppers. Synonymous with happiness, their yellow faces are a delightfully cheery presence to those who gaze upon them.
And fields full of them? Well that’s akin to heaven, and we happen to have the largest sunflower festival on the East Coast all our own in Botetourt County in Virginia’s Blue Ridge.
Beaver Dam Farm is a 1920s farm in Buchanan, Virginia. Since 2016 the farmers have graciously opened their 20-acre black oil sunflower fields at the end of each summer for Sunflower Festival weekends, showcasing over 600,000 sunflowers in bloom.
A stunning focal point for landscape photographers and a breathtaking backdrop for portrait photographers, a sunflower field seems to bring out the shutterbug in us all. But don’t stop at just the click of your camera app; there’s much to see, do, and experience at the Beaver Dam Sunflower Festival.
What to Expect
Beaver Dam Farm will host the Sunflower Festival from September 8-17 with a variety of activities and special events, with September 9-10 & 16-17 being the days to enjoy the standard festival experience.
People come from hundreds of miles around to mingle with these beauties, but there are also special events and activities during the non-festival days (the weekdays) to better accommodate some folks.
Take a look at the schedule below and check out the links for information about each event and the opportunity to purchase tickets.
2023 Beaver Dam Farm Sunflower Festival Schedule & Tickets
- Sunflower Festival VIP Night - Friday, September 8 | 4:00 to 7:00 p.m. | Price: $15 | Tickets >
- Sunflower Festival - Saturday, September 9 | 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. | Price: $11 | Tickets >
- Sunflower Festival - Sunday, September 10 | 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. | Price: $11 | Tickets >
- Preschool Day - Tuesday, September 12 | 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. | Price: $5 | Note: This event is for groups or individual families with preschoolers. | Tickets >
- Tuesday Sunset Dinner (SOLD OUT) - Tuesday, September 12 | 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. | Price: $80 per couple
- Senior Citizen Day - Wednesday, September 13 | 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. | Price: $5 | Note: This event is for groups or individual families with seniors. | Tickets >
- Sunflower Festival Evening Hours - Wednesday, September 13 | 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. | Price: $8 | Tickets >
- Sunset Yoga - Wednesday, September 13 | 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. | Price: $25 | Tickets >
- Special Needs Day - Thursday, September 14 | 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. | Price: $5 | This event is for groups or families with individuals with special needs. | Tickets >
- Sunflower Festival Evening Hours - Thursday, September 14 | 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. | Price: $8 | Tickets >
- Goat Yoga - Thursday, September 14 | 6:00 to 7:00 p.m. | Price: $38.45 | Tickets > (Advance reservations are required)
- Friday Sunset Dinner (SOLD OUT) - Friday, September 15 | 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. | Price: $80 per couple
- Sunflower Festival - Saturday, September 16 | 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. | Price: $11 | Tickets >
- Sunflower Festival - Sunday, September 17 | 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. | Price: $11 | Tickets >
There are no refunds for the festival. Only leashed service dogs with a distinguished vest or card may enter.
Please be respectful of the property owners and only visit the farm during designated festival hours. If you go past the gates during non-festival hours, you are trespassing.
More than 120 arts, crafts, and food vendors bring their wares to the field each year, including many from all over Virginia and some from states like West Virginia, North Carolina, and Georgia! You’ll find so many sunflower themed items and artisan wares available for purchase, from jewelry and paintings to handmade wooden toys and furniture.
You'll also love the options provided by the food vendors in attendance. With old-fashioned ice cream, wood-fired pizza, wonderful BBQ, donuts, kettle corn, and other tasty treats, you won’t go hungry.
Betcha Didn’t Know
You can plant your own plot of Beaver Dam Farm sunflowers or buy a bag of Beaver Dam Farm sunflower seeds, which can be found at nearby Northwest Hardware locations, Ikenberry Orchards & Country Store, and The Best Place Antique Store.
As mentioned above, sunflowers beg to be photographed and many people want to be photographed among them. However, spending too much time or setting up a styled shoot may detract from the experiences of others who attend the festival. Photographers who would like to host a photo shoot in the sunflower field should email Candace Monaghan at BeaverDamSunflowers@gmail.com for additional details and to book a spot.
Also, don’t forget to take a photo with the #Lovework and share it via your preferred social media platform. Tagging @visitvbr is also highly encouraged. :)
- Tickets are required to enter and are sold online. Cash tickets are available for purchase at the gate, but online is the preferred way of purchase. Tickets are required for all visitors ages 3 and up. Purchase tickets >
- Leashed service dogs are permitted; all others are not.
- The farm is forced to close if there is heavy rain. It will remain open with light showers. There are no refunds.
- This is a working farm. There is no natural shade and the paths are gravel, dirt, or grass. There will be bugs so insect repellent is strongly recommended.
- Parking is free; a limited number of handicap spaces are available so let the attendant know if one is needed.
- Port-a-johns are available around the festival area and parking lot.
- While most vendors will accept credit cards, technology isn't always dependable and cash is always accepted. There is an ATM on-site.
- Please do not pick your own sunflowers. Flowers stems are available to cut from a selected patch for purchase as you leave the event.
- Check out the FAQs page on the Beaver Dam Farm website to learn more >
Located in the nearby Town of Buchanan is an adorable main street, with a classic soda fountain (Buchanan Fountain & Grille), charming Buchanan Theatre, Twin River Outfitters to help you get on the Upper James River Water Trail, great local shops, and its iconic Swinging Bridge. You can also enjoy a great meal at the nearby Foot of the Mountain Cafe.
Planning an overnight visit? Here is a list of Places to Stay in Botetourt County >
Check out our Botetourt County section to learn more about ways you can enjoy this unique part of Virginia's Blue Ridge.
Special thanks to Jenny Marie's Photographie for providing many of the photos in this post.