April is one of the best months of the year for live music in the Roanoke Valley in Virginia’s Blue Ridge Mountains.
The beginning of spring means the calendar starts to feature more outdoor concerts and the region also hosts some fantastic acts at our major performance venues and for the annual Down by Downtown Music Festival.
There are some huge names scheduled to perform in Virginia’s Blue Ridge this month, ranging from rock legends like Alice Cooper to the instrumental innovation of Ben Folds and raw sounds of Jason Isbell.
The Roanoke Symphony Orchestra is showcasing its musical range and creativity with shows that honor the music of The Beatles, as well as Ludwig Van Beethoven.
Grammy Award winner Chris Stapleton takes over Berglund Center on April 20, and Virginia band Carbon Leaf performs at the Harvester Performance Center on April 8.
This month’s Virginia’s Blue Ridge Music Scene Playlist on Spotify is a must-listen with over four hours of great music that showcases the songs of artists performing in the region. You can also subscribe to the playlist, which is updated monthly, and follow our visitvbr Spotify account to find more unique playlists.
The following is a preview of some of the biggest concerts taking place this month.
- Michael Ray - Harvester Performance Center | April 5
- Roanoke Symphony Orchestra: Music of The Beatles - Salem Civic Center | April 7
- Carbon Leaf with Me & My Brother - Harvester Performance Center | April 8
- Son Volt with Anders Parker - Harvester Performance Center | April 12
- SFJazz Collective: Music of Miles Davis - Jefferson Center | April 13
- Cory Branan - Spot on Kirk | April 14
- Brandy Clark & Charley Worsham - Harvester Performance Center | April 15
- Ben Folds & a Piano with Ryan Lerman - Harvester Performance Center | April 16
- Chris Stapleton with Brent Cobb - Berglund Center | April 20
- Down by Downtown Music Festival - April 20-22 in Downtown Roanoke | Headline Show: Lotus with Opening Acts: Hayley Jane & The Primates and Broccoli Samurai - Elmwood Park | April 22
- Richard Thompson - Harvester Performance Center | April 25
- Drake White - Sidewinders Steakhouse & Saloon | April 26
- Jason Isbell & the 400 Unit with J Roddy Walston & The Business - Berglund Center | April 27
- Sarah Jarosz with Curtis McMurtry - Harvester Performance Center | April 27
- Alice Cooper - Salem Civic Center | April 27
- Mandolin Orange with The Dead Tongues - Harvester Performance Center | April 28
- The Lone Bellow - Harvester Performance Center | April 30
Visit our Music section to learn more about the distinct sounds of Virginia’s Blue Ridge. You can also check out our Events Calendar for more dates and details about upcoming shows.
Don’t forget to follow us on Social Media and also subscribe to our monthly E-Newsletter for more ideas about fun things to do in the Blue Ridge Mountains.