The Roanoke Symphony Orchestra will present another year of fantastic classical music in Virginia’s Blue Ridge with its 2017-18 performance season.
The organization recently announced its schedule for the coming year, and there are multiple concert series that will offer a variety of musical styles and influences, providing visitors and locals numerous opportunities to enjoy live music.
The following is a Spotify playlist that features over two hours of music highlighting many of the original works and artists who will be showcased in the Symphony’s 2017-18 season. You may notice songs from classic movies like Jurassic Park and Schindler’s List, as well as iconic artists like Ray Charles and Journey, in addition to many classical composers.
The Roanoke Symphony Orchestra will perform in many of the unique performance venues in the region, including the Elmwood Park Amphitheater, Salem Civic Center, Berglund Center, Jefferson Center, Taubman Museum of Art, and the Moss Arts Center at Virginia Tech.
Here’s a list of the performances to mark on your calendar!
- Symphony Under the Stars: At the Movies | Free Summer Concert | Saturday, August 26 - Elmwood Park
- Picnic with the Pops: Ray, Motown & Beyond! | Pops Series | Friday, September 29 - Salem Civic Center
- Masterworks 1: Emperor | Masterworks Series | Saturday, October 14 - Berglund Center & Sunday, October 15 - Moss Arts Center at Virginia Tech
- A Mighty Fortress: Musical Reformation | Destination Series | Monday, October 30 - College Lutheran Church, Salem
- Masterworks II: Classical Genius: Mozart & Mendelssohn | Masterworks Series | Saturday, November 18 & Sunday, November 19 - Jefferson Center
- Handel’s Messiah: Hallelujah | Special Holiday Concert | Tuesday, November 28 - Jefferson Center
- Picnic with the Pops: Holiday Pops! | Pops Series | Friday, December 8 - Salem Civic Center & Saturday, December 9 - Moss Arts Center at Virginia Tech
- Masterworks III: Vivaldi Four Seasons & Appalachian Spring | Masterworks Series | Saturday, February 10 & Sunday, February 11 - Jefferson Center
- Serenade to Music | Destination Series | Thursday, February 22 - Temple Emanuel, Roanoke
- Masterworks IV: The Creation | Masterworks Series | Sunday, March 10 - Berglund Center
- Pictures of The Baroque | Destination Series | Monday, April 9 - Taubman Museum of Art
- Picnic with the Pops: Don’t Stop Believin’: The Music of Journey | Pops Series | Friday, April 13 - Salem Civic Center
- Masterworks V: Bernstein Centennial Celebration | Masterworks Series | Saturday, May 5 - Berglund Center
Season tickets are on sale now on the Roanoke Symphony Orchestra website and there are various ticket packages available! Single tickets go on sale on August 16.
Reserve your seats now and get ready to enjoy the show!
Visit our Arts & Culture section to learn more about other performing arts organizations and additional opportunities to enjoy live music in Virginia’s Blue Ridge.