Blue Ridge Country magazine is celebrating its 30th anniversary this year, and as part of the celebration, the publication is announcing the winners of its recent “Best of the Mountains” reader poll.
Virginia’s Blue Ridge is well represented with multiple winners and Top 3 finishers across a variety of categories, including local businesses, outdoor recreation activities, and awards for the region’s overall culture & quality of life.
According to Blue Ridge Country, a bimonthly publication produced by Roanoke-based LeisureMedia360, the reader polls are conducted every five years as an opportunity for readers to share about their favorite places and experiences in the mountains.
The following is a list of local spots receiving recognition:
- Best Museum: Taubman Museum of Art (1st Place)
- Best Fishing Lake or River: Smith Mountain Lake (1st Place)
- Best New Attraction in the Last 5 Years: Roanoke Pinball Museum (1st Place)
- Best Stretch of the Appalachian Trail: McAfee Knob (1st Place)
- Best Revitalized Downtown: Roanoke (2nd Place)
- Town on My Bucket List: Roanoke (2nd Place)
- Best Retirement Town: Roanoke (3rd Place)
- Best Arts & Crafts Show: Roanoke Sidewalk Art Show (3rd Place)
- Best Mountain Made Beer: Parkway Brewing Company (3rd Place)
- Best Arts Town: Rocky Mount (3rd Place)
- Best Caverns: Dixie Caverns (3rd Place)
- Best Restored Theatre: Grandin Theatre (3rd Place)
- Best New Attraction in the Last 5 Years: Harvester Performance Center (3rd Place)
The winners are featured in the May/June issue of the magazine, which can be found on newsstands throughout the Southeast by April 23. You can also subscribe to the magazine on the Blue Ridge Country website.
Have you heard about the other recognition Virginia’s Blue Ridge has recently received? Visit our Awards & Accolades page to learn more.