Blue Ridge Outdoors Magazine announced its 2017 Best of the Blue Ridge award winners in its January 2017 issue and the Roanoke Valley in Virginia’s Blue Ridge is well represented.
Numerous local outdoor experiences, events and businesses are featured as award-winners and favorites, which were determined by 85,000 votes being cast over the course of six weeks.
The awards highlight the incredible local culture and love for the outdoors that exists in Virginia’s Blue Ridge. With hundreds of miles of amazing trails for hiking, biking and paddling, as well as a growing network of outdoor outfitters and resources, the Roanoke Valley in Virginia’s Blue Ridge is a mountain playground that’s perfect for your next vacation.
The region was also recently featured by Blue Ridge Outdoors as its Top Adventure Town for 2016.
Here are the local winners and favorites (runner-up) that were recognized in the 2017 Best of the Blue Ridge awards contest.
- Place to Live for Outdoor Singles - Roanoke
- Place to Raise an Outdoor Family - Roanoke
- Running Trail - Mill Mountain
- Climbing Gym - River Rock Climbing Gym
- Regional Athlete - Gordon Wadsworth
- Costumed Event - Superhero Race at Roanoke’s GO Outside Festival
- Toughest Event - Blue Ridge Marathon
- Festival - GO Outside Festival
- Climbing Event - Big Lick Showdown
- Brewery - Parkway Brewing Company
- Breakfast - Scratch Biscuit Company
- Hiking Trail (Appalachian Trail Section) - McAfee Knob
- Swimming Hole - Roaring Run
- Biking Trail - Carvins Cove
- Urban Park - Mill Mountain Park
- SUP Destination - Carvins Cove
- SUP Destination - Smith Mountain Lake
- Spot Along the Blue Ridge Parkway - Peaks of Otter
- Place to Play Hooky - Roanoke River Greenway
- Best Outdoor Adventure Company to Work For - Wilderness Adventure at Eagle Landing
- Outdoor Shop - Walkabout Outfitter
- Running Store - Fleet Feet Spots
- Yoga Studio - Uttara Yoga Studio
- Farmer’s Market - Roanoke City Market
- Farmer’s Market - Grandin Village Community Market
- Up-and-Coming Outdoor Business - Roanoke Mountain Adventures
- Best Instagram Account - @sdeanphotos
- Inspiring Outdoor Person - Marion Childress
- Bike Mechanic - Chris Heslin
- Rowdiest Outdoor Event - Roanoke’s GO Outside Festival
- Adventure Race - Wild Gear Chase
- Triathlon - Off the Rails Triathlon
- Bike Event - Virginia’s Blue Ridge Downtown Twilight Criterium
- Running Race - Blue Ridge Marathon
Food & Drink
- Coffee Shop - Sweet Donkey
- Late Night Eatery - Texas Tavern
- Winery - Chateau Morrisette
- Bar - Wasena City Taproom
- BBQ - The Lick BBQ
- Burger - Jack Brown’s Beer & Burger Joint
Congratulations to all the winners and favorites from Virginia’s Blue Ridge. It’s an amazing place we get to call home and we definitely think it’s the Best of the Blue Ridge!
To learn more about the region, give us a follow on social media at @visitvbr and subscribe to our monthly e-newsletter.