The 2018 holiday season has arrived in Virginia’s Blue Ridge! It’s a festive time throughout the Roanoke Valley with holiday concerts, parades, fun runs and rides, and special festivals.
We invite you to experience the holiday cheer during your next vacation in the Blue Ridge Mountains.
Here is a guide to this year’s holiday events in the region.
We’ll float through the season with holiday parades that are a great way to celebrate our vibrant local neighborhoods and communities.
- Historic Grandin Village Holiday Children’s Parade | November 17
- Franklin County Christmas Parade | December 2
- Salem Christmas Parade | December 7
- Buchanan Christmas Parade | December 8
- City of Roanoke Christmas Parade | December 14
Light Shows | Tree Displays | Tree Lightings
There’s an extra twinkle during the holiday season in Virginia’s Blue Ridge with unique light shows, tree displays, and tree lighting events.
- Fashions for Evergreens at The Hotel Roanoke | November 22 - January 1
- Franklin County Courthouse Tree Lighting Ceremony | November 23
- Buchanan Festival of Trees | November 23 - January 1
- Buchanan Tree Lighting | November 24
- Chateau Morrisette Christmas Tree Lighting | November 24
- Holiday Spirits Tree Lighting & Cocktail Party - City Market Building | November 30
- Roanoke County Tree Lighting - South County Library | December 3
- Westlake Holiday Tree Lighting & Concert - Westlake Towne Center | December 6
- City of Roanoke Christmas Tree Lighting - Downtown Roanoke | December 7
- Buchanan Christmas Eve Luminaries | December 24
The entire family will love taking part in the popular annual holiday festivals in the region that feature popular seasonal flavors and activities.
- 2018 Grandin Village Winterfest | December 1
- Gingerbread Festival - Salem Public Library | December 1
- Come Home to a Franklin County Christmas - Rocky Mount | December 7
- Dickens of a Christmas - Downtown Roanoke | December 7, 14, 21
- Holiday Village at Explore Park | December 14-16 & 20-24
Concerts | Performances | Shows
Your favorite holiday tunes, movies, and performances are all on the calendar with upcoming concerts and shows.
- Hallelujah: Handel’s Messiah by the Roanoke Symphony Orchestra | November 27
- Christmas Wonderland Holiday Spectacular - Berglund Center | November 27
- Lauren Daigle: The Behold Christmas Tour - Berglund Center | November 29
- Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer: The Musical - Salem Civic Center | November 29
- Annie - Attic Productions | November 30 - December 15
- Sharing the Light: A Holiday Celebration in Story & Song - Hollins University | December 2
- Letters from Home - Salem Civic Center | December 2
- Off the Rails Theatre presents Reckless - Community High School | December 6-15 (Thursday-Sunday)
- Roanoke Symphony Orchestra’s Holiday Pops - Salem Civic Center | December 7
- Southwest Virginia Ballet’s The Nutcracker - Berglund Center | December 8 & 9
- Free Screening of It’s a Wonderful Life - Grandin Theatre | December 8
- Roanoke Symphony Orchestra’s Holiday Pops - Moss Arts Center at Virginia Tech | December 8
- Chris Tomlin Christmas - Berglund Center | December 14
- Roanoke Ballet Theatre’s The Nutcracker - Jefferson Center | December 14-15
- Holiday Brass - Cave Spring United Methodist Church | December 15
- Annie by Roanoke Children’s Theatre - Jefferson Center | December 20-23
- Free Screening of Bad Santa - Grandin Theatre | December 21
- Roanoke Valley Children’s Choir Carol Sing-a-Long - Taubman Museum of Art | December 21
Holiday Open Houses | Markets | Home Tours
Open houses, markets and home tours are fun way get inspiration for your own holiday decorations & traditions, while also finding something special to share with family and friends.
- Holiday Open House at Black Dog Salvage | November 18
- Buchanan Merchant Christmas Open House | November 23-24
- Christmas Market at Explore Park | November 23 - December 24
- Old Southwest Historic District Holiday Parlor Tour | December 1-2
- A Christmas Past - Fishburn Mansion | December 9
- Mistletoe Market - Salem Civic Center | December 15
- Monster Indoor Holiday Flea Market - Berglund Center | December 15
Historical Holiday Events
Learn what the holidays were like for previous generations with a historical perspective on the season.
- Fantasyland - O. Winston Link Museum | November 23
- Homeschoolers’ Blue Ridge Holiday at the Blue Ridge Institute & Museum | November 29
- Holiday Candlelight Tours at Thomas Jefferson’s Poplar Forest | November 30 - December 14 (Thursday-Saturday)
- An Old Virginia Christmas at Booker T. Washington National Monument | December 1
- Candy Cane Express - Virginia Museum of Transportation | December 1-2
Fun Runs, Rides & Races
It’s all fun & games when you join others in celebrating the holiday season with a fun run or bicycle ride in Virginia’s Blue Ridge.
- Drumstick DASH Family 5K Walk & Run | November 22
- 2018 Jingle Bell Run - Downtown Roanoke | December 1
- Holiday Lights Tour Bicycle Ride - Grandin Village | December 5
Other Holiday Activities
We just can’t contain our holiday excitement! There are Santa sightings, ice skating, and holiday feasts to enjoy!
- Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs Thanksgiving Game | November 22
- Elmwood on Ice - Elmwood Park | November 22 - January 27
- Holiday Celebration at the Distillery - Twin Creeks Distillery | December 1
- Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs Holiday Office Party Night | December 6
- Breakfast with Santa - William Fleming High School | December 8
- Breakfast with Santa - The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center | December 8
- Live Nativity - Camp Eagle | December 8-9 & 15-16
- Holiday Candlelight Wine Dinner - Thomas Jefferson's Poplar Forest | December 15
- Public Ice Skating with Santa - Berglund Center | December 16
- Christmas Brunch Buffet - Peaks of Otter Lodge | December 23
Visit our Holidays section for more ideas to help you plan your next getaway to Virginia’s Blue Ridge. For more information on what’s going on in the region, sign up to receive our monthly e-newsletter and give us a follow on social media.