Finish 2017 with a holiday visit to the Roanoke Valley in Virginia’s Blue Ridge Mountains!
It’s a time of holiday spirit, special performances, tours of beautifully decorated homes, and infectious cheer.
There are a variety of holiday events taking place throughout the region in the coming weeks, offering all kinds of opportunities for creating memories with family and friends.
Here’s a preview of what’s on the calendar for the 2017 holiday season in Virginia’s Blue Ridge!
The marching bands will put on a show and you can decide which group built the most creative float for the numerous holiday parades in Virginia’s Blue Ridge. Santa has also been known to make an appearance!
- Christmas Parade - Downtown Vinton | November 30
- 61st Annual Salem Christmas Parade - Downtown Salem | December 1
- Roanoke County 2nd Annual Christmas Parade - Brambleton Avenue | December 2
- Franklin County Christmas Parade - Downtown Rocky Mount | December 3
- Buchanan Christmas Parade - Downtown Buchanan | December 9
- City of Roanoke Christmas Parade - Downtown Roanoke | December 9
Shows | Performances | Concerts
The bells are jingling and sugarplum fairies are dancing as this is one of the best times of the year to enjoy a show or concert in Virginia’s Blue Ridge, with many performing arts organizations presenting holiday productions.
- FrUiTCaKeS - Attic Productions | November 30 - December 9
- Star City Children’s Holiday Concert - Patrick Henry High School | December 2
- A Christmas Story - Mill Mountain Theatre | December 6-23
- Roanoke Symphony Orchestra’s Holiday Pops - Salem Civic Center | December 8
- Southwest Virginia Ballet’s The Nutcracker - Berglund Center | December 9-10
- Roanoke Symphony Orchestra’s Holiday Pops - Moss Arts Center at Virginia Tech | December 9
- Dickens of a Christmas with Roanoke Valley Children’s Choir - Taubman Museum of Art | December 15
- Holiday Songs & Cheer - Beliveau Estate Winery | December 17
- The Best Christmas Pageant Ever: The Musical - Roanoke Children’s Theatre | December 20-23
Enjoy many of the classic holiday flavors and browse from an impressive selection of local gift items at these popular festivals.
- Dickens of a Christmas - Downtown Roanoke | December 1, 8, 15
- Gingerbread Festival - Salem Public Library | December 2
- Ye Olde Salem Christmas - Salem Farmers Market | December 9
Historical Holiday Events
Many of our historical sites and museums in Virginia’s Blue Ridge join the fun of the holiday season with special events and features that take you back in time.
- Fantasyland - O. Winston Link Museum | November 24 - December 21
- Toys of Christmas Past - Salem Museum | November 24 - January 13
- Holiday Candlelight Tours - Thomas Jefferson’s Poplar Forest | December 1-16
- An Old Virginia Christmas - Booker T. Washington National Monument | December 2
- Candy Cane Express - Virginia Museum of Transportation | December 2-3
- Live Nativity Event - Camp Eagle | December 2-3, 9-10
The holiday spirit truly takes over when you join the crowd in the exciting countdown of lighting a Christmas tree.
- Buchanan Tree Lighting - Town of Buchanan | November 25
- Chateau Morrisette Christmas Tree Lighting - Chateau Morrisette Winery | November 25
- City of Roanoke Christmas Tree Lighting at Dickens of a Christmas - Downtown Roanoke | December 1
- Roanoke County’s Christmas Tree Lighting - South County Library | December 4
Holiday Home Tours & Open Houses
Find inspiration for your own holiday decorations as you tour historic homes and local businesses that celebrate the season with open house events.
- Buchanan Merchant Christmas Open House - Town of Buchanan | November 24-25
- Hickory Hill Holidays - Hickory Hill Vineyards & Winery | December 2-16
- Holiday Open House at Chateau Morrisette - Chateau Morrisette Winery | December 2-3, 9-10
- Old Southwest Holiday Parlor Tour of Homes - Historic Old Southwest | December 2-3
- Historic Fincastle Inc. Holiday Home Tour & Marketplace - Historic Fincastle | December 9
Tree & Light Displays
Whether it's the classic decorations or something completely unexpected, you'll love checking out the many tree and holiday light displays in the area.
- Fashions for Evergreens - The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center | November 23 - January 1
- Roanoke Holiday Lights Bike Tour - RIDE Solutions | December 6
- Christmas Sparkle in the Square - Kids Square Children’s Museum | December 9
- Christmas Eve Luminary Display - Town of Buchanan | December 24
We're always active in Virginia's Blue Ridge, which includes keeping our feet moving during the holiday season with festive fun runs!
- Drumstick Dash - Downtown Roanoke | November 23
- Jingle Bell Run - Patrick Henry Hotel | December 9
Other Holiday Events
Skating? Dancing? Cooking? It's all part of the holiday experience.
- Elmwood on Ice - Elmwood Park | November 22 - January 28
- Thanksgiving Weekend at Hickory Hill - Hickory Hill Vineyards & Winery | November 24-25
- Ashton Holiday Experience Cigar Event - Milan Tobacconists | November 30
- Holiday Cooking with Chef Yun - The Inn at Virginia Tech and Skelton Conference Center | December 2
- Dickens of a Christmas at the Museum: Celebrating the Art of Dance - Taubman Museum of Art | December 9