The holidays are a special time in the Roanoke Valley in Virginia’s Blue Ridge. The exciting events on the calendar put everyone in the holiday spirit, and it’s time to celebrate with family and friends.
From tree festivals and parades to concerts and home tours, there are fun upcoming events for everyone in Virginia’s Blue Ridge.
As you make your holiday plans, consider all the great things you can check out during the holiday season in the Blue Ridge Mountains.
Here’s a helpful guide to our 2016 Holiday Events.
Santa is on his way to Virginia’s Blue Ridge, and there’s a good chance you’ll see him making the rounds at the local parades in the area.
- Vinton Christmas Parade - December 1 | Downtown Vinton
- Biggest Little Parade - December 2 | Downtown Rocky Mount
- Salem Christmas Parade - December 2 | Downtown Salem
- Craig County Christmas Parade - December 3 | New Castle
- Fincastle Christmas Parade - December 3 | Town of Fincastle
- Franklin County Christmas Parade - December 4 | Downtown Rocky Mount
- City of Roanoke Christmas Parade - December 9 | Downtown Roanoke - Dickens of a Christmas
- Roanoke County's First Annual Christmas Parade - December 10 | Brambleton Avenue
Shows | Performances | Concerts
Catching a holiday show is the perfect way to energize your holiday cheer, and tickets to an upcoming performance can also serve as a fantastic gift or way to spend time with loved ones.
- Rudolph The Musical - November 30 | Berglund Center
- White Christmas - November 30 - December 18 | Mill Mountain Theatre
- A Simple Gift - December 1-10 | Attic Productions
- Holiday Pops - December 2 | Roanoke Symphony Orchestra at Salem Civic Center & December 3 | Moss Arts Center
- Mercy Me Christmas Concert - December 9 | Salem Civic Center
- Jazz Up Your Holidays - December 9-10 | Mountain Lake Lodge
- The Nutcracker - December 10-11 | Southwest Virginia Ballet - Berglund Center
- Christmas with The Embers - December 10 | Harvester Performance Center
- Big Band Holidays - December 11 | Moss Arts Center at Virginia Tech
- The 12 Plays of Christmas - December 16-17 | Community High School
- Seussical, The Musical - December 20-23 | Roanoke Children’s Theatre
- Holiday Music: It’s Time to Be Merry - December 20-21 | Mill Mountain Theatre
You can’t be festive without having exciting holiday festivals! With roasted chestnuts, hot chocolate, caroling, carriage rides and more, this has to be part of your Blue Ridge Day.
- Dickens of a Christmas - December 2, 9, 16 | Downtown Roanoke
- Come Home to a Franklin County Christmas - December 2 | Downtown Rocky Mount
- Salem Gingerbread Festival - December 3 | Salem Public Library
Historic Holiday Events
Our historic sites and attractions put their own unique twist on the holidays with tours and special events, offering visitors the opportunity to experience the combination of history with holiday fun.
- Fantasyland - November 26 - December 17 | Center in the Square
- Holiday Candlelight Tours - December 1-17 | Thomas Jefferson’s Poplar Forest
- Holidays at Smithfield - December 2-4 | Historic Smithfield
- An Old Virginia Christmas - December 3 | Booker T. Washington National Monument
- Candy Cane Express - December 3-4 | Virginia Museum of Transportation
Gather round and get your camera ready for the various tree lighting celebrations that will be happening throughout the communities in the region!
- Buchanan Tree Lighting - November 26 | Town of Buchanan
- Chateau Morrisette Tree Lighting - November 26 | Chateau Morrisette Winery & Restaurant
- Dickens of a Christmas Tree Lighting - December 2 | Downtown Roanoke
- Salem Christmas Tree Lighting - December 2 | Downtown Salem
- Holiday Tree Lighting - December 4 | Whitebarrel Winery & Restaurant
- Roanoke County’s Christmas Tree Lighting - December 5 | South County Library
Holiday Home Tours & Open House Events
Find inspiration for your holiday decorations by visiting open house events or taking part in a holiday home tour in Virginia’s Blue Ridge, which features amazing historic homes and neighborhoods.
- Thanksgiving Open House - November 25 | Foggy Ridge Cider
- Buchanan Merchant Christmas Open House - November 25-26 | Town of Buchanan
- Old Southwest Holiday Parlor Tours - December 3 | Historic Old Southwest
- Historic Fincastle Home Tour - December 10 | Historic Fincastle
- Holiday Open House - December 11 | Virginia Mountain Vineyards
Tree & Light Displays
Enjoy the beauty of these stunningly decorated trees. You’ll have the opportunity to vote for your favorite tree and the proceeds raised through the competitions go to support local charities in Virginia’s Blue Ridge.
- Festival of Trees - November 16 - December 31 | Bedford Welcome Center
- Fashion for Evergreens - November 24 - January 2 | The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center
- Christmas Eve Luminary Display - December 24 | Town of Buchanan
Holiday Fun Runs
Get your steps in and keep off those extra holiday pounds by registering to participate in one of the holiday fun runs in Virginia’s Blue Ridge.
- Drumstick DASH Family 5k Walk & Run - November 24 | Downtown Roanoke
- 2016 Jingle Bell Run/Walk for Arthritis - December 10 | Downtown Roanoke
- Christmas Eve Fun Run/Walk - December 24 | Vic Thomas Park
Other Holiday Events
Because we just can’t get enough of the holiday fun!
- LuLaRoe Multi-Consultant Holiday Extravaganza - November 19 & December 10 | Salem Civic Center
- Elmwood On Ice - November 23 - February 12 | Elmwood Park - Downtown Roanoke
- Peaks of Otter Winery's Christmas Special - December 3 | Peaks of Otter Winery
- The Black Dog Christmas Weekend - December 3-4 | Chateau Morrisette Winery & Restaurant
- Ugly Christmas Sweater Party - December 18 | Chaos Mountain Brewing
- Half Moon's Annual Christmas Jam - December 23 | Martin's Downtown Bar & Grill
You can also find us on social media at @visitvbr.