Top 10 Valentine's Day Getaways
By Steve Winston | February 3, 2014 10:13 AM ET18.4K 154 12 2 26
Valentine's Day, over the years, has become a truly international celebration of romance. And you can certainly find great places to celebrate it all over the globe.
Here are my top ten "getaway" places in which to celebrate Valentine's Day...
10) VENICE - Venice seems to rise up out of a mirage, its churches and piazzas and canals shrouded in the ages. And it's all enhanced by the romantic gondola rides around the city...particularly at sunset. Take a bottle of champagne with you, along with a box of chocolates. Party with the crowds in St. Mark's Square. Or head out for a private picnic lunch to Guidecca Island, where you'll have a view across the water toward the Doge's Palace.
9) HONG KONG - Even in this frenetic, electric, glittering city jammed between the mountains and the sea, there are some quiet places for couples. The rooftop of the IFC Four Seasons Hotel is one of them. Here you can soak in an infinity pool, receive a special couples treatment in the world-class spa, and then sample a cocktail in one of the swank eateries. Or get on board the legendary Star Ferry, operating since 1888 between Hong Kong and Kowloon, for some spectacular nighttime views of the city.
8) BALI, INDONESIA; Maya Ubud Resort & Spa - Bounded by rice paddies on one side and the Petanu River on the other, the Maya Ubud Resort & Spa is a tranquil retreat for those who'd rather avoid the hubbub elsewhere on the island. Couples can find their own special places while biking in Monkey Forest Road or walking through the Botanic Gardens. The resort's rooms are furnished in traditional Balinese style (with a private pool and/or hot tub in some of the villas). And there are three excellent restaurants on-site.
6) SHANGHAI, CHINA, PuLi Hotel & Spa - As part of its "Valentine's Day Off" package, the PuLi Hotel & spa is offering couples treatments at the Anantara Spa (with an infinity lap pool overlooking a serene park), shared bites from its distinctive Jing'An restaurant, and champagne with which you can toast your good fortune in being here. This Valentine's Day, your timing will be especially fortuitous - because Shanghai will be cloaked in thousands of paper lanterns marking the last day of the lunar New Year celebration.
4) THE AMALFI COAST, ITALY - The Amalfi Coast is 43 miles of stunning coastlines, dotted with picturesque old villages. Many of these villages overlook the sea from steep cliffs, offering wonderful views. The coast is filled with luxury hotels...and who does romantic weekends better? From Positano, you can take day-trips to explore Naples or Pompeii, or hop a boat to (as Frank Sinatra sang) "The Isle of Capri."
2) PARIS! - When you think of romantic cities, Paris always comes up near the top. Take a Valentine's Day cruise on the Bateaux Mouche down the River Seine as the lights sprinkle on. Cross one of the medieval bridges toward the Left Bank, and wander the bistros there. Have a romantic candlelight dinner in one of the cellar cafes on the Ile D'Orleans. Head to the top of the Eiffel Tower (bundle up first!) for a nighttime view of "The City of Light" in all its glory. And don't forget to load up at one of the exquisite chocolate shops!
And now, my top Valentine's Day getaway in the world...
Those are my Top 10 picks for Valentine's Day. Let the debate begin! - See more at: http://www.worldpropertychannel.com/featured-columnists/great-destinations/valentines-day-valentines-romantic-getaways-romantic-getaways-7956.php#sthash.uvleKCDl.dpuf