Local businesses, events, and experiences from Virginia's Blue Ridge were well represented in the 2016 Best of the Blue Ridge Awards by Blue Ridge Outdoors Magazine.
The publication recently announced its winners after seeking the opinions of its readers about the best destinations, personalities, events, and outdoor businesses in the Blue Ridge Mountains.
The award-winners from Virginia's Blue Ridge beat out competition from the 10 states that are covered by Blue Ridge Outdoors and it highlights the dynamic outdoor culture that continues to thrive and expand in our region.
The awards span 87 different topics, ranging from hole-in-the-wall restaurants to best outdoor personalities and trails.
Here are our winners from Virginia's Blue Ridge:
- A.T. Section: McAfee Knob - Winner
- Paddling River: James River - Honorable Mention
- Biking Trail: Carvins Cove Trails - Winner
- Best Flatwater: Smith Mountain Lake - Runner Up
- Place for Outdoor Singles to Live: Roanoke - Winner
- Place to Raise An Outdoor Family: Roanoke - Winner
- State in the Southeast/Mid-Atlantic for Outdoor Adventure: Virginia - Winner
- Most Inspiring Outdoor Person: Pete Eshelman, Roanoke Outside - Winner
- Bike Mechanic: Chris Heslin - Runner Up
- Physical Therapist: Tyler Bowersock - Honorable Mention
- Yoga Studio: Uttara Yoga - Winner
- Climbing Gym: River Rock Climbing - Winner
- Outdoor Hangout: Parkway Brewing - Winner
- Riverside Pub: Wasena City Taproom - Winner
- Running Store: Fleet Feet Sports - Runner Up
- Outdoor Shop: Walkabout Outfitters - Winner
- Toughest Race: Blue Ridge Marathon - Winner
- Rowdiest Fest: Go Fest - Honorable Mention
- Blue Ridge Festival: Go Fest - Winner
- Adventure Race: Wild Gear Chase - Winner
- Triathlon: On the Trails Triathlon - Runner Up
- Running Event: Blue Ridge Marathon - Winner
Food & Drink Category
- Food & Drink: Texas Tavern - Runner Up
- Coffee Shop: Sweet Donkey - Runner Up
- Vineyard: Chateau Morrisette - Winner
- Burger: Jack Brown's Burger Joint - Honorable Mention
Congratulations to all the winners! Don't miss checking out some of these experiences and businesses when you visit Virginia's Blue Ridge!