The Grandin Theatre is a non-profit movie theatre specializing in art house, independent, foreign and children`s films, as well as mainstream films.
Group Tour Services: Upon Request
Meeting Facilities: Meeting space available during Fall hours in all 4 theatres; Upstairs lobby available for art exhibits
General Information about Grandin Theatre
Opened: March 26, 1932
Architect: John Zink
2002 Renovation Architect: Rife + Wood Architects
Original number of seats: 944
Current number of seats: 509 (Main: 323, UL: 74, UR: 74, SR: 38)
Grandin Print artist: Greg Osterhaus
Grandin Trailer animator: Will Robertson (former employee)
• The Grandin was the first theatre in Roanoke built to play “talkie” movies.
1931 – Construction begins. Architect – John Zink
1932 – March 26th – Theatre opens. First movie is Arrowsmith.
1964 – $40,000 renovation.
1976 – The Grandin closes.
1976 – Mill Mountain Theatre uses the Grandin for stage productions.
1983 – Jack Andrews buys the Grandin; screens classics, second run movies and art films. He also presents live shows. During this time, John Lee Hooker and The Dead Kennedys play the Grandin.
1985 – Closed again. Financial woes cited.
1986 – Julie Hunsaker manages the theatre. Owned by brother, Jim Lindsey.
1989 – Scenes from Dudley Moore’s film, Crazy People, are set at the Grandin.
1990 – In the area to film What About Bob?, Bill Murray hosts a benefit to help the Grandin pay it’s bills.
1999 – Hunsaker purchases the property from Lindsey.
2001 – October 23rd, Grandin Theatre Foundation forms and is incorporated under guidance of Ed Walker and Warner Dalhouse.
2001 – November 11th – Theatre closes. The last film shown is The Last Picture Show.
2002 – October 20th – After the Grandin Theatre Foundation raised the funds to buy and renovate the theatre, it reopens. The first movie is the French film, Mostly Martha.
|Rm. Name||Sq. Ft.||Dimensions||Ceiling||Theater||Classroom Size||Banquet Capacity||Reception|
|Upstairs Right Theatre||0||X||75|
|Upstairs Left Theatre||0||X||75|